Friday, March 12, 2010

When life gives you lemons, fix your own wiper

Today was a big day.

Today I fixed Sass’s broken windshield wiper. Alone. I used multiple tools.

Yes, yes I did.

I had an inkling that I would be able to do it myself, as the last time my wiper broke (yes, it happens often) I hovered over the Saab tech, watching his every move of the 35 second fix. I remember driving away from the dealership feeling defeated after seeing how easy it was to complete the repair, and knowing that the techy was inside the dealership mocking me and my inability to speak car talk, nevermind understand it. Generally, I walk into the service center, and my appearance alone triggers cash register sounds for the technicians. Cha-ching! I hate that feeling. I am smart. I am quick to understand. Do not treat me like I am inept, and then charge me $150 for an oil change, thank you very much.

So, today was the day where I either had to make the call to Saab, or fix the wiper myself. I decided today was the day where I take back my voice… and did I ever take it back.

I fixed it, and yes, I had a witness. My mother, who is my #1 supporter in all my “I can do it myself” endeavors (which usually end up with me making the problem even larger), came down to the garage to bear witness to this miraculous event. And while I am sure the thought of me failing, and ultimately breaking the windshield wiper completely off my car, had her ready to run, Diane did very well throughout the exercise, and even participated with a celebratory thumbs up upon my fix.

I admit my experience was not free of problems. The once 35 second fix for the techy ultimately turned out to be a 35 minute fix for this novice, but I attribute a majority of that time to searching for the correct tools in my father’s OCD organized workshop. (Do not ever borrow a pair of scissors from Bob’s workshop, even if you put them back he will still know they were used.)

After a quick hood pop, removal of a decorative cover and some quick, but stern bolt tightening, I had single-handedly fixed my own windshield wiper. Mission complete.

I would like to take a moment to thank Sass and acknowledge her willingness to accept change. I know today was a turning point in our relationship because even though she knew that I had never operated on a vehicle before, she still trusted me enough to fix her.

Sass and I are no longer fighting.

1 comment:

  1. K,

    Who knew you were such an impressive and witty writer. I love it. Reminds me of the time where I changed my front headlight. It was a huge moment of accomplishment for me and yes, it took me 5x as long as the dealership but hey. It was worth it. With cars all you have to do is read the instructions book right. After that feat I am somehow now convinced that I could rebuild jet engines with a small manual and my impressive mechanical intuition.

    Can't wait to read more!

    Love,
    C

    Can't wait to read mor

    ReplyDelete