Wednesday, March 17, 2010

springing to summer?

I don’t want this to turn into a meteorology blog by any means, but March’s weather has been purely unpredictable. Yes, Spring by definition is supposed to be inconsistent, but this spring has been particularly hormonal…to put it lightly.

This year, New England Spring is the mid-puberty adolescent daughter of Mother Nature, complete with mood swings and tears.

Monday graced us with 8 inches of rain, hurricane force winds, and flash flooding, which was fun by all standards.

Tuesday came along and Spring then felt bad for making such a stink over the weekend. She cleared the clouds away and left us with crisp but unusually sunny weather. To be honest, the sharp contrast was mildly ophthalmologically offensive, being that my eyes hadn’t seen sunlight, nevermind cloudless sunlight, in over 5 days.

Still redeeming herself, today was another absolutely perfect day, stunna even. The sun was warm (judging by the 7 minutes of outdoor time I got today) and the skies were the perfect shade of blue. It wasn’t too cold, but I wasn’t uncomfortably warm in my [very fashionable] blazer.

To ice the cake, I predict that both Friday and Saturday will send thermometers into shock, clocking in at 68 and 66 degrees respectively. It will be perfect. I will whip out my flip flops and pool floaties, just incase I can find some time to soak up some rays.

I think about this and smile; this must mean that summer is just around the corner, right? Wrong! This is not Florida in June. This is New England people, in March nonetheless. I predict after this weekend of pure bliss, we are due for at least one more solid frost and/or deep freeze, only to then thaw out again and plateau in a semi-cool spring until July. Maybe you find me to be pessimistic, but I am going with realistic.

So for now, I will enjoy the premature spring that is being handed to me, and wait for Indian Summer (my favorite season of all).

No comments:

Post a Comment