Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter's Top 5

Top 5 Things I like about Easter:

  1. Cadbury Mini Eggs: God’s personal way of reminding me that he loves me and wants me to be happy. Being that Easter is the only time of year where Cadbury produces these little oval miracles, it makes for an obvious reasoning behind my excitement for Easter. I am not talking about the regular, subpar Cadbury eggs with the white, creamy filling (vomit,) but rather the thumbnail size, pure Cadbury chocolate delicacies encased in a crisp shell. These heavenly minis melt in my mouth, soothe my soul, and trigger my smile, (too bad no boyfriend can do that! Sigh.) At any rate, Cadbury Mini Eggs are my favorite part of Easter.
  2. My very Italian, slightly overbearing, but extremely loving and inclusive family. I love Easter because it is yet another reason (as if we need one) to gather the people that love each other most into one room. Complete with yummy food, (come on, we’re Italian!) fun laughs, and an intense egg cracking competition (See #4), any D’Orlando gathering proves to be entertaining.
  3. Hymn #322: “Up From the Grave He Arose!:” To many, this is an average, slow moving, but slightly building hymn. To my family, this hymn serves as yet another inappropriate moment for us to all look at each other and laugh. This is my grandfather’s favorite hymn; his gospel travels right from his lips to God’s ears, and he sings it as though it does. In his Easter suit, he stands proudly with our family, prominently displaying his Italian offspring, builds his strength up through his knees and into his chest for a complete, deep, strong, hearty tone. He has done this since I can remember, and will continue to do so for years to come. “Up From the Grave He Arose!” is another reminder that my family will never be normal, and I am perfectly content with that.
  4. The Annual D’Orlando Egg Bashing Fight! What is that, you may ask? Well, my grandmother meticulously hollows out ordinary eggs, and fills them with confetti. The end result? An oval shaped weapon, perfect for whacking, pelting, or noogy-ing into an adoring, yet equally vicious cousin and/or sibling. All cousins are sent outside, each armed with two eggs each, and encouraged to plot and terrorize each other. No rules, just revenge. Yet another indicator that my future children have little to no chance of ever being normal.
  5. Easter dresses! One of the best parts of Easter is seeing the little girls prancing around in their floral Easter dress, white tights, and white patton leather shoes. God, I lived for those days as a seven year old, where I could prance my cute self around, parading my spring look. Granted, it wasn’t so fun when we had to wear our pretty party dresses under snow suits, but it was still an entrance nonetheless. I have high hopes for this year’s six year olds, as the weatherman is predicting 75 and sunny.

Oh, and obviously the resurrection of Jesus Christ is another highlight to my Easter. I mean, without his miracle, none of the aforementioned things would be possible, not to mention we wouldn’t have been freed from our sins. Christ has risen! (Christ has risen, indeed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment