Thursday, August 19, 2010

tgit

We have a double TGIT this week, dedicated to the smart thinkers and hard workers of our local Department of Public Works.


#1: The Spray and Fill


Good: my parents live on a quiet back road, adjacent to a pond. Growing up on this street rocked- think bikes, pond, limited traffic, and limited parental supervision.

Great: After getting my driver’s license, I realized with aforementioned lack of traffic and police patrol, it is relatively easy to navigate the road with ease. Over the years, I have also memorized my way around the flat-tire-causing potholes.

TGIT: Once neighbors start to complain about the conditions of the roads, due to plowtrucks and an entire month of the road eroding under flood waters, DPW decided to fix the problem. Did they repave? No, no that is silly and overly expensive. Why repave when commuters would then travel at a normal speed down the road without fear of getting a flat? Hello, potholes= nature’s natural speed trap. Instead, lets simply circle problem areas, and fill them with loose pavement. This way, people cant fly down the road and will need to remain unneccasarily alert of potholes, when they are already avoiding sharp turns around the pond, and navigating aggressively narrowing roads. Their problem solving skills further prove why they decided to go into road construction in the first place…



#2: The Set It and Forget It!

Good: my commute to work from my parent’s house is 8 minutes door to door. This is nice, especially in the winter.

Great: My commute is only back roads. I completely avoid any type of highway and/or other traffic causing route.

TGIT: this is yet another tactful DPW solution to a trouble-causing pothole. Why fill the pothole, when you can just put a giant orange cone inside of it, alerting drivers to its existence? Cheaper, and easier solution. While before, I had to hit the pothole right on, as I take that immediate left you see in the distance, I now need to swerve over to the right to avoid the cone, to then swoop back left in order to make my turn. This is definitely a safe alternative to simply filling the pothole.

Thank you for putting our tax dollars to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment