Friday, August 20, 2010

Roger Rage

This just in… yet another athlete has found himself of the “Performance Enhancing Drug” Spotlight.

Welcome, Roger Clemens.

Gasp! The horror! Eek! I can’t believe it!

Since the release of this new [very important, nevermind the oil in the gulf] headline, I have come up with three questions re: American culture.

First Question:
Why are professional athletes so stupid?

Yes, the obvious reaction does involve getting hit by a bat/ball/club/Frisbee/car one too many times, and maybe includes the possibility that some nerd completed all of said athletes academic work while they were working on their game (both on and off the field.) That being said, isn’t it rather intuitive that if you cheat and get caught, you get punished? Is it not one of the fundamental rules children learn in elementary school?

At any rate, Roger will join fellow athletes who also thought they were better than the law, including Mark McGwire, Manny Ramirez, and the obvious steroid user, Olympian Marion Jones. Talk about a fun party.

Athletes, if you do drugs, you will get caught. Roger that, uh Roger?


Second question:
Why is it that Americans are still shocked when athletes are caught using Performance Enhancing drugs?

Um hello? This is America: the most goal driven, attention seeking, monetary focused culture in the world. Americans, particularly celebrities, are obsessed with getting ahead, being the best of the best, and staying in the spotlight- and it doesn’t matter how they do it, as long as they don’t get caught.

Clearly there are ways around the rules. I mean, all rules are made to be broken…right? It is just confusing to me when people are surprised that yet another public figure has gotten caught.

I guess I am the only individual that is constantly judging the actions of others. Tell me something I didn’t know.

Third question:
Is twitter the new publicist?

Between Roger’s tweet of innocence, and Lindsay [All Time] Low-han’s constant statement on twitter and a variety of celeb’s using twitter as their personal press conference, the twitter newsfeed seems to be slowly phasing out the need for a public relations team.

Being that my initial interests in marketing were based on my foundation of PR (thanks Nickerson PME), this sends me into a complete and total panic.

What if public relations fades out…will it take marketing with it? WILL I LOSE MY JOB?! panicpanicpanic.

(Self, public relations will not disappear as much as it will evolve with the times. Stay on top of your game- and you will be fine.)

Are we now in the midst of a generation where instead of having your people call my people, your twitter will now need to consult with my twitter? Just seems very, um, technologically impersonal.

Thanks Roger, for bringing up all sorts of anxiety-driving questions for me. Yet another reason for me to dislike you…as if I need another.

No comments:

Post a Comment