Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sass Is Back In Good Standing

August 1 was a Sunday.

What does that mean?

It means that I couldn’t get my car inspected on the first of the month (Panic!)

What does that mean?

It means that I was required to drive my car around for 24 hours with an expired expiration sticker.

This may not be a big risk for you, person with average luck, but for me, it most certainly means I will get pulled over and cited. I am like a citation magnet. Police know when my sticker expires and pull me over before I even realize its no longer valid.

Last time it happened was July 5th, 2008. I know this because I had just gotten home from celebrating America’s birth in Maine, and right before my birthday. Girlfriend didn’t plan ahead (surprised?!) and found herself with an expired sticker.

“Self, you can just do it tomorrow. Annie drove around with an expired sticker for two years, you can most certainly get away with 2 days.” Should have known better.

I was wrong.

After having a complete breakdown to the Weston police officer who pulled me over while I was battling traffic on my way home from my [old, very-slave-like, we don’t talk about it anymore, first out of college] job, he let me off with a written warning.

“Consider this an early birthday present.” He says.

Gee thanks, I’ll be sure to send you a thank you note.

After that, I immediately call my mother [who prides herself on her ability to extend her expiration sticker expiration by one month each year] in hysterics. Naturally, her 21 year old “I can’t do anything by myself without crying daughter” needed her help, so she called the local Gas Station, who proceeded to stay open late so that I could get my car inspected right then and there.

Some people get away with having their stickers expired for months before even noticing, nevermind getting pulled over, but me on the other hand, I can only ride on the wild side for a few hours without getting pulled over and cited. It’s a rare talent that many can’t come by.

So fast forward back to July 31, 2010. Again, girlfriend didn’t plan ahead. On July 31, I had a wedding to go to, and I found it to be just silly to drive around looking for a random garage in Boston to inspect my car, when I knew I would be in the burbs just 24 hours later.

Do it tomorrow, Kristin.

Well, smartass, tomorrow came, and you realized that the first was a Sunday, the one day of the week where no one will inspect your car. I can smell the citation coming already.

But alas, my good fortune (and God knows I need to document it when that happens), and I made it to the gas station without getting pulled over and cited.

I know. I am just as shocked as you are.

After leaving with my innocent, legal, blue 8/2011 sticker plastered on my windshield, I drove by 2 of Sudbury’s finest, and two stateys. Look at me go.

Life victory that I just couldn’t keep to myself.

PS: I didn’t say “rabbit rabbit” – are these incidences related?
PSS: Does this mean I potentially just jinxed a good month or does it mean I am going to have a lucky month…I’m going with the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment