Friday, July 9, 2010

One Year Closer to AARP!

Since today is the 24th anniversary of my birth, I decided to list out each year, base on a significant event that happened in each. Perhaps this will clear up why I am the way I am.

  1. Year of the spotlight. I was the most important thing in the world to everyone, and if you didn’t know it, I didn’t care about you.
  2. Year of “Hi.” Hi was my first word, and I am fairly certain that everyone knew it, being that I took every opportunity to show off my vocabulary whenever possible.
  3. Year of the Brother. Welcome to the world, Matthew. We will get along until you learn how to say “no.”
  4. Year of the Patten Leather Shoe. Yes, Stacey (my most wonderful babysitter- Hi Stace!) I am allowed to wear my party shoes to bed.
  5. Year of the New House. We moved, and I loved it. Why? Because the first time I went into my room, I was allowed to jump on my bed with my grandfather. Very sneaky Mom, very sneaky.
  6. Year of the nail biting. Mrs. Whitney tried to get me to kick the habit at 6, but I wasn’t able to until I was 23.
  7. Year of Colonial Massachusetts. I think pretty much everything I participated in had something to do with Pilgrims, Plymouth, or Constance Hopkins. Sudbury Public beat it into our little, malleable brains
  8. Year of Multiplication. I still don’t know my 7 and 8’s tables. I was reminded of that in fourth grade, when our substitute teacher used to make us play around the world, and I always got stuck against the smart people.
  9. Year of the Vermont Odyssey, where I realized that I was the only fourth grader who knew, and enjoyed, all songs by REM and Melissa Ethridge. Thanks Mom and Dad!
  10. Year of the Consumer Science Project and my first public speaking experience. Yes, I was required to read my D.A.R.E essay in front of my entire grade, and their parents. Obviously, I was a gifted writer from the get-go. Oh, and don’t do drugs.
  11. Year of the Capitals. Throughout the school year, I eventually learned every capital to every country in the world, and every state in the United States. Unfortunately, I have ultimately retained maybe 20% of what I learned. Sigh.
  12. Year of the tears. Middle schoolers were mean, mean people.
  13. Year of the Bangs Grow Out. Operation Bangs Grow Out= one thing, and one thing only…hair clips. Yes, you know the ones I am talking about, those fashionable metal clips that you would plaster all over your head in hopes of holding down every stray follicle on your head. Yes, those were the rage.
  14. Year of Cheerleading. I decided it was only appropriate to become a cheerleader. Thank god I was talked out of that phase sooner, rather than later.
  15. Year of Dance. I chose to participate in Dance over softball. Clearly that was disappointing to my “#19 in your program, but #1 in my heart” softball pitcher of a Dad (Go Coyotes!) But don’t worry Dad, I rekindled my love for softball once I hit the ripe age of 22.
  16. Year of the Drivers License. Oh freedom. Need me to go to the store? Sure! Want me to pick up Matt? Not a problem! Oh, but can I get some gas money?
  17. Year of the Car Accident. Not my fault, for the record!
  18. Year of the Dance Team. It was my life, and I loved it.
  19. Year of the Sorority. Tri Delta, or don’t try at all, bia.
  20. Year of the Abroad Experience. Why yes, London, we would LOVE to live with swingers, thank you for asking!
  21. Year of the Graduation….and senior week.
  22. Year of the realizing that I’m not in college anymore. That was a tough pill to swallow.
  23. Year of the Staph infection, broken tailbone, Swine Flu, and major car accident. Enough said.
  24. Year of the winning the lottery, buying a house in Cabo, getting a puppy, shrinking 3 inches and becoming a size 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment