Friday, July 23, 2010

Nobody Puts Baby [Blue] In A Corner



Lets be frank here.

Blue eyes are the diamond in the rough.

Van Morrison was singing about the wrong girls the whole time.

Think about it.

I mean, heterozygously speaking, blue eyed people are far more valuable than brown eyed people, solely because of their rarity (and outstanding good looks).

How do I figure? The odds:

If I retained my 7th grade biology study of alleles and phenotypes accurately, which I most certainly did, then I can explain eye color heterozygous alleles very easily.

If you have brown eyes, you carry the dominant gene, commonly known as RR or Rr. If you carry the most dominant gene, then you carry RR; if you carry the slightly less dominant, but still dominant brown, you have Rr.

All blue eyed people have the recessive gene, rr. Even based on pure capitalization, it is obvious that brown eyed genes hold the power. Sigh.

R always beats r.

So how do us ridiculously good looking blue eyed people get said blue eyes? See Punnett Square below (don’t even act like you aren’t impressed with that vocab!)


Above is the described phenotype of two brown eyed mates (replacing said R's with B's)

Notice how they both carry the recessive gene.

Ahem.

Statistically speaking, if two brown eyed people procreate, the chances of them having a blue eyed child are only 6.25%, compared to the 75% chance of having brown, and the 18.75% chance of having green. Yes, I looked it up.

I know you are asking: “Kristin, what happens if one of the people only carry dominant genes?”

Well, the answer is simple. Their kids will not have blue eyes, but their potential grand kids could. See, if their mate is to have the recessive gene, it is possible (while slim) that the recessive gene can be passed down, therefore if their children carry the recessive gene, and then mate with someone who also carries the recessive gene (or is an elite member of the BEC – Blue Eyed Club--) they may be lucky enough to parent a child with blue eyes.

Yes, another “Kristin, why the hell do you think about these things” entry from me.

I mean, there is just so much talk about how rare red heads are (yes, I love my gingers- ahem Mary)…but why does no one appreciate the blue eyed girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment