Friday, February 19, 2010

Synonym for drunk eating?

Every year New Oxford American Dictionary comes out with its “word of the year.” This year’s word was unfriend, which beat out many other wonderful words, my favorite being sexting.

I have decided that it is only fitting that I also announce my two favorite words of the year, in hopes that next year my word will then become their word and I will then become independently wealthy and famous, and retire at the chipper age of 23. A girl can dream.

At any rate, here are my projected 2010 words of the year:

Nom nom: nom/nom [nom-nom]
-- Noun: a person who takes nourishment at an extremely aggressive pace; manges face
“Kevin McAllister was a nom nom when he ate an entire cheese pizza himself.”

-- Verb: to feed, inhale, gorge, scoff, wolf, or eat at an extremely destructive speed
“Katrina nom nommed when she ate an entire carton of ice cream and picked out all the brownie chunks.”

-- Adjective: characterized by or tending toward vigorously eating
“You will be so nom nom if you skip using a spoon, and stick the chips directly into the salsa.”

Origin: Created by KAD, 1995ish, Native Canadian (because I am native and it has a similar ring to pow-pow…obviously)

Why is nom nom such an important word? It is the only multi-part of speech that describes eating at an aggressive, overindulging rate in one phrase. Now, instead of describing a dining moment in a self-denouncing way, such as “I ate like a heifer last night,’ you can now simply describe your experience as “I was a nom nom.” Clear cut, simple, and to the point. Nom nom will also prevent you from comparing yourself to a beastly carnivore, and who doesn’t like that?

Unlike the term “fetch,” I am completely sure that Regina George would make “nom nom” happen. It is most definitely going to happen.



Obligerated: ob/lig/er/ate/ed [uh-blidg-uh-reyt-ed]
–adjective
  1. combination of obliterated and belligerent; an extreme level of drunken stupor
  2. being a menace to society due to excessive consumption of alcohol
“Martha was obligerated last night when she decided to go sledding naked on Boston Common with her best friend’s ex-boyfriend.”

Origin: Created by KAD, aprox 2006

To be honest, I am not sure why obligerated isn’t already part of the English language as we know it. I, for one, have been using the term as it was a real word since I entered college. I did not find out that it was a Kristin original until wedding season 2009, when I had a truly blonde moment in front of a dear friend, and more than half of the groomsmen (see Swine Flu:1, Kristin: 0 for a more detailed account of the night, and the happenings to follow.)

The term “obligerated” captures the essence that is the college late night experience, and weekend. Why am I the first to think of this? I am not sure, but just like rufus was for Billy Prince in Never Been Kissed, obligerated is my new cool word. Spread it around like wild fire.

Alright kids, hit the streets with your new lingo. Expect to impress with your insight and forethought. Bonus points for using both words in one sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment