Wednesday, February 3, 2010

bELIeve

This is Superbowl week, and this year that means absolutely nothing. Sorry ahead of time to all you nons, but this is meant for one audience, and one audience only: my dad.

Being offspring of a life-long, obsessive New York Football Giants fan, I myself have become the ultimate pigskin fan myself…and I am a girl. Believe it or not, Bob has raised a daughter who likes nothing more than chips, dip, and a New York Giants football game. Unfortunately for us, this season was cut tragically short due to Eli’s mid-season confusion on which team he played for, and the defensive lines excessive interest in the sideline cheerleaders, as opposed to the TD’s being thrown by the other team. I should have dressed in the true blues and hit the field, at least games would have been one part entertainment, three parts embarrassment.

That aside, this is Superbowl week. If my do-no-wrong Giants do not make playoffs, which within the past few years has been a non-happening, my hometown team, the New England Patriots, are usually a shoe-in for the post-season season. Regardless, usually there is one (if not two!) team in playoffs that I love, or want to see win. Not this year.

Fine, so my team didn’t make it this year. We cannot win them all, can we? Give me someone that I absolutely hate so I can passionately route against them, just to keep it interesting. Bring on the Dallas Jerkoffs, I mean Cowboys, or Donavan McCrab and the Philadelphia Eagles, just so I can watch the utter disappointment and sadness on their faces after a Superbowl upset. If I cannot see my Brothers in Blue bring another Superbowl win to the Meadowlands, watching the Cowboys lose the chance to bring the same victory to their brand new, $2 billion stadium would be enough for me. But again, that won’t be happening this year.

This year’s Superbowl is meaningless to the majority of America, you know, besides the 27 people watching in Indianapolis and those who aren’t getting ready for Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It will no doubt be the reunion of two great teams, both who have earned their right to be there, but the NFL is no doubt cursing the outcome of this Superbowl, which has no huge money generating team in its midst.

So while Superbowl week usually crawls by for this football girl, this year it is actually moving fairly quickly…one aspect of a crappy Superbowl I am not complaining about. So, bring on the funny advertisements, The Who halftime show, and two teams of public indifference…I’ll be the one wearing the Giants hat, plotting for next year.

Go Saints?

No comments:

Post a Comment