Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Warning: Honesty Alert!

After a successful surprise weekend jaunt down to the Big Apple to surprise a gal pal on her 25th, I learned something very important about myself.

I am [just slightly] germaphobic.

My [dis]ability becomes very apparent when I am traveling alone, and know no one can judge me for being so.

How?

  1. I cannot put my bag down on the floor of any airport and/or bus/train station. I simply cannot imagine putting my beloved bag on the floor, only for it to be infected with microscopic germs. My solution? My bag gets a seat while I wait for my train, or else I stand with it between my legs, obviously as fashionably as possible. I prefer to only leave the train station with germs I came with myself, thank you very much.
  2. Public restrooms as a whole. I am not a good squatter. Things get even more interesting for me when I have a large bag that cannot hang on the little hook they provide for pocket books. Good thing I was a dancer, because those quads get a great workout.
  3. I bring a pair of traveling socks. What are traveling socks, you may ask? Traveling socks go on after getting on the train, and come off before getting off said train. This way, I can take my sandals off, but avoid having my feet touch the floor (no doubt where millions of other smelly, sweaty, athlete’s foot-y feet have been.) Said socks come off before putting my shoes back on, as not to germ-if my shoes. Did I mention I get cold?
  4. Oh hey, college brah dipping while sitting next to me on the train. Can you, like, stop?
  5. There is a brief moment, once I relax and settle into my seat and plug in my iPod, that I ponder whether I am infecting myself with lice as I perch my head on the window on the train. Ew.

I give myself credit for knowing that this behavior is abnormal, and exposing it anyway.

I revert back to my favorite prayer which states: “Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

I know this is one of those situations that I am most likely unable to change, or else I most definitely don’t have the courage to change it…yet.

Who says this blog isn't reflective and therapeutic?

No comments:

Post a Comment