Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Insert Grace's "Told You So" dance here

Its time for another episode of “I told you so.”

Let us rewind to January, when the world was being bombarded by high pitched, pantless chipmunks that is the Squeekquel trailor.

Here enter the “All the Single Ladies” singing chipmunks.



My initial reaction? Female chipmunks, proactively dancing to a large audience, including an older [extremely creepy] man snapping photos of them, all while wearing a barely there skirt, sans underwear and/or pants. If this isn’t a great example to set for 10 year old girls, I don’t know what would be (I mean, besides Miley Cyrus using a stripper pole at the Teen Choice Awards…)

Um, hello?! Why is the world so perplexed about how sexually advanced America’s children are when we plant images and dance moves like this directly into movies targeted to them.

My friends made fun of my [overly motherly, slightly neurotic, anxiety filled, oversensitive] interpretation of the preview, but I stood my ground. I was surprised that the always accusational, overly aggressive media hadn’t already blamed someone for objecting the children of America to this. The Chippettes were going to create a cultural controversy, even if I was the only one who saw it coming.

Fast forward to present day.

Saw this little ditty on the news the other night with its preview as “‘Single Ladies:’ Too Sexy, Too Early?”



Unlike the chipmunks, this video has sparked controversy all over America. These dancers aren’t being recognized for their unbelievable natural talent, but rather their lack of clothing, inappropriate and oversexual dance moves and their age.

Sound familiar? Is this not what I predicted would happen three months ago when the chipmunks were displayed doing the same thing?

I am a dancer, and I am an advocate for dancers everywhere. I am more captivated by their unbelievable unison and technique than I am by their “inappropriate” dance moves. I don’t think they have done anything wrong, but I just can’t understand why no one else saw this coming….

The final catch? Once it became apparent that this dance number required an explanation, the choreographer explained that the dancers were merely trying to emulate the dancing they saw in the Squeekquel.

I told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment