Monday, May 10, 2010

"I just cant get you outta my head"- Kylie Minogue

I am a walking jukebox. There are always pop/rock/country/80’s divas in my head and they won’t leave. Today I learned that it is apparently abnormal to constantly have a song stuck in my head. I must say, I am a bit shocked, and I am not sure if I buy into it quite yet.

Regardless, much like my thyroid condition, I am stuck with “constantsonginheaditis” for the rest of my life. I have accepted it and [mostly] learned to live with it; however, there are certain situations when I cannot handle having this [dis]ability.

When its not appropriate to have a song stuck in your head:

  1. At work. Much to my dismay, I have become the girl who sings to herself. In an attempt to salvage whatever dignity I may have (you can’t come back from that), I began telling everyone what song was stuck in my head, in hopes to remove it. Not only does this removal option not work, but you still look like a weirdo. Further, I also laugh to myself, which doesn’t help my cause.
  2. At family functions in public places. Example: yesterday, at our Mother’s Day dinner, at the fine establishment that is Lotus Blossum, I apparently decided to otherwise entertain myself while the other nine people around the table were participating in conversation. How? I decided to sing the hymn “Up From the Grave He Arose,” and didn’t realize I was doing so until I caught a confused, but slightly annoyed look from my mother. I am 23.7 years old, wouldn’t you think I would be able to control these things? Evidently not 100% of the time.
  3. While trying to fall asleep. For all you non-brain-singers, it is impossible to relax when you have Beyonce on the brain. I need to consciously switch my mental pre-set from Kiss108 to Magic106.7. Every. Night. I go from rave to slow dance instantaneously. Sometimes I catch my subconscious switching it back to the dance party, led by Chumbawumba, only to then need to mentally change it back. Essentially, I play a game of clicker commando with myself every night, prior to falling asleep.
  4. Nannying. College summers were years of song censoring, as there were several times where I caught myself humming “Crazy Bitch” whilst at the pool with the kiddos. Luckily, my subconscious swear patrol caught my internal song, thus reducing it to a hum, and not full-on-song.
  5. When traveling. Don’t be the girl that mouths songs to herself while standing in the airport security line, Kristin…that most likely raises red, terrorist flags.

Oh, what's playing in my head right now, you ask? I am jamming to Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like A Woman."

No comments:

Post a Comment