Wednesday, May 19, 2010

For once, I am smarter than technology...I think

Today I googled “Share Booth,” (yes, share booth) and per usual, as I typed S-H-A, Google populated search phrases below the text bar.

Google thinks I want to learn about Shaws, Shaun White, Shakira, Shark Tank, Shake Weight, and/or Shakespeare when I type a search beginning with S-H-A.

Interesting.

Um, where do these “hot phrases” come from? Are these the most common Google phrases that begin with the letters S-H-A? Is it related searches based on my previous searches or cache? Is there a small Google gnome and/or overpaid executive somewhere that populates random collection of words beginning with S-H-A? How do you do it, Google, how do you do it….

First of all, I doubt the most popular SHA search is Shaws, and I don’t believe that more people google the Shake Weight over other only-buy-on-tv-products beginning with S-H-A, such as the Shamwow. Duh. Secondly, I know for a fact that no one has googled Shakira since 2001. So, I guess this eliminates my theory that these are the most popular SHA searches.

I might be slightly persuaded that the suggestions are related to my recent searches/cache. Guilty as charged on the googling of the Shake Weight and Shaun White, but I know I have never googled Shakespeare and/or Shakira. Perhaps this is Google’s way of promoting their own up-sell: “if you like this search, then you might be interested in these other searches.” If so, they have failed, as I dislike almost all of the searches displayed in the suggestions, with the obvious exception being the Shake Weight.

What do I do to solve this enigma? Why, google it of course! I decide to conduct another [popular] search to investigate my theory further…

Searches beginning with “How to” sparks all sorts of interesting suggestions. Am I looking to search how to tie a tie, how to kiss, how to lose weight fast, how to get pregnant, how to solve a Rubix Cube, how to get a girl to like me, how to make it in America, how to train your dragon? Um, no, but thanks for trying, Google.

If those are the most popular “how to” searches, America is in a lot of trouble. Again, the popularity theory is out the window.

It also throws out the “recent searches” option, as I am more likely to google how to not get pregnant, rather than how to, and we all know that I’ve made it in America and my dragon has been trained for years now, even without Google’s help. Further, how would google know what I was searching if I had only written “how to…” the opportunities are endless; what made them decided on these eight random suggestions.

I guess that leaves the gnome theory…

No comments:

Post a Comment