Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Like It Anywhere But Your Status

Breast cancer is a fatal and very real disease. Since the beginning of this year, 207,090 new cases of invasive breast cancer have been recorded, 40,000 of them being fatal.

Your chances of having breast cancer in your lifetime (if you are a woman)? Less than 1 in 8. The chance of dying from breast cancer? 1 in 35. These are real, cold stats from the American Cancer Society. I didn’t just make ‘em up, people.

As I sit here, my grandmother continues to fight her battle with breast cancer, and may I add she is doing a fine job at doing so. Go Grammy, Go!

I admire those who dedicate their time, money and energy to Breast Cancer awareness and research. Thank you, angels, for your role in the saving and enrichment of the lives of those who have been touched by such a toxic disease.

Moving on.

Want to know what really burns my toast [shout out to you, Clark]?

Young girls who are using breast cancer awareness as an excuse to post sexually suggestive facebook status’.

For those of you unaware, there is a guerilla marketing program on facebook promoting breast cancer awareness, where women are updating their status to explain where they put their purse once arriving home.

Examples?
“I like it on my table.”
“I like it in my car.”

How does it work? Those who aren’t made aware of the tactic begin to question why their newsfeed is suddenly overflowing with places people “like it,” they google it, learn its for a good cause, and then re-post to their status, continuing the cycle. It snowballs.

Usually, I am all for guerilla marketing, especially when it is for a good cause. Some of you may remember last year’s initiative where women posted what color bra they were wearing in the name of breast cancer awareness. Shamefully, I admit to participating in that, seeing it as more of an innocent way to jump start the beginning of breast cancer awareness month.

This year is much different for me.

Now, I am seeing status updates like this:

“I like it on the couch, in front of the window, where everyone can see.”
or even better,
“I like it on the floor, next to the lit fireplace, with my socks on.”

So you are trying to tell me, Miss 15-year-old-girl-I-used-to-babysit-for, that you like to leave your purse out in the open, for anyone to see? Is that the safest decision? I mean if you leave your purse in plain view, there is a much greater chance for someone to take it or for you to forget where you put it? Similarly, Miss-girl-who-used-to-date-one-of-my-friends-so-I-couldn’t-reject-your-request, I highly doubt that you leave your purse on the floor near the fireplace when you have a fire lit. This is an extreme fire hazard. Propping your purse up against any warm surface is quite an idiotic motion, as your purse and all its contents could melt. Duh. Also, how is your sock wearing relevant to the location of your purse?

Analysis: What started as an attempt to raise awareness has now become an excuse for young girls to post sexual innuendo all over their facebook walls. It has now become a sexual joke, which seems counterproductive to its original intent.

Maybe you should think twice about your “I like it in the back seat of my car” posting. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment