Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Free Fallin'

On Tuesday, I went to California, wearing yoga pants and a short sleeved sweater. I would define the weather as Indian Summer [not too hot, not too cold, no need for a light jacket] and green.

On Sunday, I came home from California, wearing yoga pants and a full long winter sweater. I define this weather as ohmygodwheredidthewarmweathergo Fall with different colored trees.

Very different. Very unhappy. While I was gallivanting around the [fairly un-sunny and foggy] California coast, Mother Nature decided to switch seasons without me, foliage and all.

As I am sure you have learned, I am not very good with change. I require a lot of prep and hand holding prior to a big change. Summer to Fall is one that requires a good amount of preparation. Clearly I hadn’t had enough time.

In five short days, New England changed seasons without me, inadvertently leaving me behind. While every other Massachusettian was able to slowly transition into the freezing cold, I was forced to change seasons at the Terminal D Departure Exit. Thanks for that, Mother Nature.

As if last evening’s airport exit shock wasn’t enough of a wake up call, I decided to fall-ize one of my summer work outfits by simply adding black tights to the ensemble [per Glamour Magazine’s request.] I looked adorable. Adorable, that is, until I hit the morning Massachusetts freeze that kicked the “last minute hope for a heat wave” spirit right out of me. Welcome to Boston, Kristin. We have seasons here.

At any rate, being that I am now completely aware that it is in fact Fall in this great state, I have compiled my list of fall must-haves.

Victoria Secret Yoga Pants [extra long, for the very leggy people like me]

Hungover, freezing, rushing to work, and/or just too lazy to pull together a suitable outfit? Black yoga pants go with everything: dress them up, dress them down, or just plain dress in them- yoga pants have been a staple in my wardrobe since freshman year at the tundra. Similarly, yoga pants serve as a great day to evening to night staple. From work, to karaoke, to bed- they seem to due diligence at each venue.

Starbucks Caramel Apple Cider
If you pretend they are calorie free, these little treats are a direct path to heaven. You are welcome in advance.

L.L. Bean’s Wicked Good Slippers
Yes, that is what they are called [take that, all you hella California people] and, boy, do they live up to their name. L.L. Bean has created a shoe that not only survives, but excels, in almost every environment.

Sunglasses
Just became the warmth went away, doesn’t mean the sun did.

Hooded Sweatshirt

With the cold months comes more time for fires, hangovers, and other cuddly occasions.
All of these situations equal an opportunity to snug up inside an overly large, super comfy, wicked warm sweatshirt. Snug up, make some hot chocolate, spike it with some baileys if you are feeling frisky, and you have yourself a pretty wonderful evening.

Ugg Boots
The socially acceptable version of a slipper. You may call them ugly, but I call them practical.

Four Wheel Drive and/or A Great Car that You Can Handle In Snow
Before Sass, there was my jeep. She was a powerhouse in the North Country. I barely had to clean her off when I needed to get anywhere. I felt pretty much undestructable in that car, except for when she started to fail me. Then came Sass. Sass doesn’t have the power of the jeep, but boy does she have the willpower. She fights snow well, except for that one time when she got stuck during the halftime show of the 2008 Superbowl (wooopssss!)

High Duck Boots (yet again, another L.L. Bean product)
See that frozen piece of ice about 20 paces in front of you? Yes, well in about 20 paces you will realize that the piece of ice you just walked over wasn’t completely frozen through, and you will be standing in a cold, slushy dirt puddle in shoes that are not waterproof. You will then spend the rest of your travels feeling your wet shoe sole press into your wet sock with every step you take. Invest in duck boots, you will thank me later.

Pashminas
Any color goes with any outfit, and each can be used as mittens/hat/ear/neck warmers in the case of an emergency.

A Hooded Jacket.
While they may not be the most stylish article of clothing you have, you will be extremely happy when the wind driven rain doesn’t chill your ears through, turning them bright red.

No comments:

Post a Comment