Thursday, March 17, 2011

March "I Have No Idea What I'm Talking About"ness

Well, it is that time of year again. March Madness.

The time of year where I print out a bracket and blindly fill it in, in hopes of beating my equally basketball inept father in a sports competition neither of us couldn’t care less about.

Why do we do it, you may ask? Well, its simple. Winner buys breakfast.

As the current champion, with four consecutive victories under my belt, I am overwhelmingly favored by the [equally basketball uneducated] judge, my mother.

So here is the bracket I predict to bring me to my fifth victory.

My Madness picks wouldn’t be complete without including some of my “there is absolutely no logic in my picks whatsoever” thought process.

Gonzaga vs. St. John’s
Self 1: Gonzaga is a really cool word.
Self 2: Yeah, but St. John’s is a really cool destination spot.
Self 1: True, but Gonzaga is still my favorite of the two. Plus, chances are high that there aren’t a lot of good basketball players from St. Johns.
Self 2: Kristin, you do know that St. Johns is most likely not based on the island of St. John’s, right?
Self 1: whatever, Zaga wins. [Note the additional perk of shortening it to an even cooler nickname.]

End Result: Gonzaga for the win.

There are some obvious advancements that I can make without even reading its competitors.

  1. Duke advances. Always. They are taking the win this year. Why? Because a) I have a “Cameron Crazie” tshirt already in my wardrobe, b) because my brother looks like one of the players, c) because they won last year, which I found out after I had completed my bracket. Woops!
  2. Cuse always makes it to my Elite 8. Why? Because I would be shot by several of my friends if I didn’t express my complete and total faith in the Orange, even if I don’t know a thing about them.
  3. UConn often advances far in my bracket. Why? Because their women’s team broke some record a while back, and it has stuck in my brain. Yes, I know that there is absolutely no correlation between the men’s and women’s teams, but I do know that I almost went there, so there is a itty bitty tiny allegiance to UConn.

Just putting this in yet another public spot so when I win, I have yet another place to prove to my father that I did not cheat.



No comments:

Post a Comment