Monday, January 25, 2010

traffic jam when you're already late

Alanis Morissette was right. Irony is a bitch. That whole: “meeting the man of my dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife [girlfriend, boyfriend, really awful ego]” line…she knows her shit. Alanis, you are the J. K. Gannon of unlucky Americans everywhere.

My recent brush with irony? Thursday, I blogged about my nose-picking theory on gossip. Twenty four hours later, a friend and I find ourselves in the midst of an intense gossip scandal. Granted, I didn’t know I was in the midst of it until this morning (shows how far down the high school gossip phone tree I am,) and were not talking “jaw dropping, sleepless night” kind of gossip, but it’s a scandal nonetheless.

Is there a chance that this isn’t some kind of coincidence? Is it possible that the gossiper with the big trapperkeeper read my blog, digested my thoughts and then immediately threw me to the gossip monsters? Doubtful, since a) who has the time and resources to do that, but mainly b) my blog web stats are anything but impressive. I imagine I have totaled maybe six unique visitors and ten total impressions, making it a very small pool of gossiping suspects.

It is still up for debate as to whether this is an example of irony at its best, if I am a telepathic blogger, or if I am a victim of a blog hit and run, but regardless I still ask myself the question: “Now what?”

Has becoming an instant subject of a trivial rumor changed the way I feel about gossip? Not so much. If anything, I am still stuck like gum on my idea of gossip being a natural response to stimulus, and it’s existence being in the hands of the quidnunc. I have, however, gone from Second Lieutenant to First in my gossip detective work, and I have also realized I couldn’t care less about what certain people say or think about me.

I am just going to leave it at that as I can feel my mood changing from curious Sherlock Holmes to catty Regina George at a rapid pace, but I just felt like this moment bared recording, you know, in case I continue to clairvoyantly blog and we sense a trend.

Gossip away, but don’t be surprised when it comes around and kicks you in the ass…hard.

And if this is a trend developing, does this mean that something significant is going to happen to me while I am driving on the pike?

No comments:

Post a Comment