Monday, November 8, 2010

S'NO!"W

After yet another incredibly successful night a la karaoke, my girlfriends and I poured out of a Boston bar and found ourselves frolicking in, what we thought was, snow.

We were actually frolicking.

It turns out that it was not snowing but rather still [very much snow mimicking] raining.

After we did a small snow dance in the middle of Faniuel Hall for the bouncers, who had earlier asked us our opinion on male massages, we continued on our merry way onto our next bar [where unbeknownst to us we would meet an overly touchy-feely Irishman, as well as a group of Mormons-gone-wild.]

This all seemed relatively normal to me until this morning when I paused and thought: “Self, you actually rejoiced at what you thought was the first snowfall?!”

Backtrack.

I hate snow. I hate being cold. I hate scraping my windshield. I hate shoveling off my car. I hate being blown with cold air first thing in the morning when the car isn’t warm, but the heat was on high when I got out last. I hate forgetting my gloves and needing to strategically drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand under my butt…then switch. I hate thinking that a puddle is frozen through only to find out that it is, in fact, not. I hate skidding. I hate the feeling of my foot being wet after said puddle. I hate slipping. I hate slipping in front of people. I hate walking in the sludge infused parking lots.

That being said I still rejoiced when I thought it was snowing, even with my list of things that I detest about snow/winter/cold things.

Why?

After thinking about it, I also love certain things about winter. [Now that’s a big confession!]

I love the calmness of snowfall. I love knowing its snowing outside and being able to get into a warm bed. I love the feeling of overpowering warmth I get when coming into my apartment from the freezing cold. I love Ugg Boots. I love electric blankets. I love blizzards and snow days. I love the silent crunch of my tires meeting fresh snow. I love sledding. I love being a ski lodge bunny. I love Christmas. I love the sounds of snow falling on power lines. I love oversized sweatshirts and slippers. I love not having to peel myself out of the seat of my car from being overheated. I love ugly Christmas sweaters. I love football.

These are the things that came to mind when I stepped outside the bar last night, not the list of things that I hated.

So, after all of the complaining I do about winter approaching, I guess there are certain things I am really looking forward to.

Look whos being little miss optimistic now!

1 comment:

  1. I had a really douchey HS teacher who once said that no matter what circumstance, no matter how old someone is, no matter WHAT, the first snowfall of the winter instantly makes you into a grinning, joyful, frolicking, optimistic 10 year old.
    Amen, sista.

    ReplyDelete