Friday, November 12, 2010

Do The Wave?

As I was driving to work, I noticed that there were many a people waving at me.

Is my blinker on?
Do they know me?
Do I look particularly attractive on this fine Friday morning?

The answer to all of the above questions was no, [although I do look pretty cute.]

Regardless, I started waving back anyway. Maybe there was some national wave day that I hadn’t heard about. Regardless I committed to participating…that is until I realized what was going on.

This morning I was driving in front of a wrangler.

For those of you not in the know, wrangler drivers are members of an exclusive club. The secret handshake to said club is a small lift with the hand that is holding the wheel and a light nod as you pass each other. Said secret shake says: “I am bro enough to drive a wrangler, you are bro enough to drive a wrangler. Lets be bro together and celebrate how legit we are because we both drive wranglers.”

How do I know about this club? Well, many of my evenings and afternoons were spent in the passenger seat of a certain wrangler throughout my high school career. I very quickly learned the don’ts of the wrangler.

DO NOT WAVE FRANTICALLY.
DO NOT ACT EXCITED.
DO NOT WAVE IF YOU ARE NOT IN A WRANGLER.
DO NOT WAVE IF YOU ARE NOT THE DRIVER.
DO NOT HONK.

I used to feel so legit after Caleb would wave at a fellow wrangler. I felt like we were included in something bigger. I was, if just for that moment, a part of something really cool.

Suddenly, my own [light blue, very cute, classic] Jeep Cherokee didn’t seem so special. Why wasn’t I allowed to do the wave? I mean I do drive a Jeep. I am just as legit. Why is it that wrangler drivers are the only ones allowed to wave at each other? Who was the kook who decided to make this rule?!

These are the feelings that immediately flooded my brain this morning as I meandered into work, feeling slightly defeated. I was that girl. The one waving to a person not knowing that they were waving to the person behind me. Happy Friday to me.

My personal feel-better-about-myself conclusion? Wrangler drivers need to get validated in order to feel legit, I simply know I am legit, legit enough to wave at randos. Nuff said.

One final question that I am not even going to attempt to answer: um, why are there so many wranglers in my 5 minute commute to work?

No comments:

Post a Comment