Tuesday, January 8, 2013

All I'm Ever Gonna Be Is Mean?

Taylor Swift is this decade’s Nickelback.

Bold statement, I know, but just hear my thought process.

The cool thing now is to hate Nickelback.  Right?  I mean, I do.

The odd thing is that at one point I definitely liked Nickelback, and you did too, alone with millions of other Americans. I mean, how else would they have become so popular?  Someone had to have liked them, and don’t tell me you didn’t belt “How you remind me” in the car a couple of times.  Yes, I linked it for old times sake. You’re welcome.

Anywho, currently I dislike Nickelback, but I kind of feel bad about it.  I mean, they didn’t really do anything to me besides gradually annoy me more and more.  This is kind how my relationship with Tay-Tay is currently: tumultuous at best.

I was the first to stick up for Taylor during the Kanye scandal.  No one deserves to be publicly humiliated and bullied on such a large scale.  The girl has serious pipes, and a flawless career.  No one can take that away from her.

Lately, though, I have heard more about Taylor’s love life with Taylor Lautner  John Mayer  Jake Gyllenhaal   Conor Kennedy  Harry Styles than her music [which is ironic since she has written at least one song about each of her failed relationships] – and that annoys me.  If she wants to be a country singer, sing, if she wants to publicly display her failing love life, go on the Bachelor.  Either way, Tay will be in my life [hi, giant Bachelor fan here], but at least I will know how to properly categorize her in my brain.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect Taylor for being able to build an empire off of a teenager with a squeaky clean reputation, but slowly she is outgrowing the very image that made her famous.  At this rate, she has dated more men than Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian combined during the same time period. That is no girl next door, America, unless its on HBO after 11PM.

I know that Taylor is most likely a misunderstood twenty-something just looking for love, but is it sympathy that now sells her records over her twang, yet slightly pop, voice? I like to think not, and I’d like to keep it that way.

At this point, every time I hear a Taylor song, I can’t help but wonder if she will ever, ever, ever get that it might be her, not the men she opts to date.

I am guilt-stricken for disliking Taylor as much as I currently do, but I just can’t help how I feel.

So, as I say to Nickelback, that’s enough Taylor Swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment