Monday, September 12, 2011

Hi, My Name Is "Gluten Girl"

Problem: Extreme fatigue.
Origin: Undiagnosed Celiac Disease.
Solution: No more gluten!

New problem: Extreme fatigue.
Origin: The decision process in deciding whether I can eat something or not.
Solution: To Be Determined.

There are four words that now almost constantly monopolize my brain:

“Can I eat this?!”

As if I didn’t already [over]analyze the nutritional value for all food I allowed into my digestive system, I now have to break down each ingredient within something I want to eat in order to ensure that it is gluten free.

It is exhausting.

It sounds relatively simple. [Stop eating wheat products, dummy!] When in reality is isn’t.

Gluten is in everything.

I am slowly learning that it is a complete waste of energy for me to even look in any menu sections besides those clearly labeled “Salad” and “EntrĂ©e”

Of course, my obvious “I want what I can’t have” mind set [also known as beingawomanitis] immediately sends me into a carb craving frenzy.

Instead of looking at all the things I can have, I stare into the realm of gluten possibilities, and need to turn on my will power with every single meal I eat.

Sigh.

I understand that my being a dummy and looking in the sandwich section sets me up for exhaustion, but what I am also learning is that I need to breakdown even the “safe” sections of the menu.

I am talking to you, soup and salads.

Here I am, already having made the “good” choice in committing to the non-blatantly gluten sections of the menu, but now I also need to breakdown the boring stuff.

In a nutshell [which I also can’t currently eat do to the pine nut problem]:

Salads?

Does it have croutons?
If yes, remove from options.
If no, continue on.
Does it have fun flavoring?
If yes, remove from options.
If no, continue on.
Is there even an iota of a chance that the dressing will contain trace amounts of gluten?
If yes, remove from options.
If no, continue on.

The ending order? “Oh hi, I’ll have the garden salad with plain grilled chicken, no croutons, and oil and vinegar on the side thanks. Does that come with bread? None for me thanks.”

Stop having so much fun, dinner order.

Soup?

Are there noodles in it?
If yes, remove from options.
If no, continue on.
Is it thick?
If yes, remove from options.
If no, continue on.

The ending order? “I’ll have a cup of your…chicken broth?”

I kid of course, but really dissecting each ingredient in every meal I eat really is exhausting…but not nearly as exhausting as I am when I have gluten products in my bellah.

Stay tuned, this will definitely get easier with time, and think about all the money I will save avoiding meals out!

No comments:

Post a Comment